Saturday 3 March 2007

land & property

Saturday already - the week has disappeared and as usual I haven't see through even half my plans. Am I getting older and slowing up? Does time pass more quickly? Or am I just too ambitious?
It's been an interesting week, though. On Thursday the Scutiny Panel examined Tom Ponton's request to put the sale of Tynecastle High School on the open market. There is no whip in a Scrutiny Panel - members must listen to the evidence and make up their own mind. Andrew Holmes, head of city development was in stirring form (unusual enough to provoke comment!) and made a sterling defence of his officers and his report. The evidence seemed pretty conclusive to me and knowing Tom as well as I do, I suspect he saw an opportunity for mischief [and publicity for himself] and grabbed it. If so, he was spot on. Most politicians would kill for the kind of coverage he's had in the last month. However, the serious points were well made: the council has already agreed its obligation to help Hearts & Hibs (and any other major city institution) to develop their business; the land was valued (by 3 different arbiters) at market value; and the proposal will lead to the regeneration of Gorgie/Dalry - all pretty conclusive stuff, in my opinion.

Friday saw a different kind of issue altogether. Although I'm vice chair of the regulatory committee I can't attend too frequently: just as well... though extraordinarily important stuff for citizens by God it's tedious. I was there on Friday and listened to a staggering set of complaints arising from the problems of houses of multiple occupation which have been allowed to mushroom to help meet the city's housing shortage crisis. Perhaps the most important issue debated was the case of a domestic bungalow in Blackford which has been extended and is now effectively a hostel for 8 vulnerable adults with mental health needs - they are being housed in what is termed 'bed & breakfast' accommodation but is an adult hostel by any other name: I have asked for a report on the implications since adult hostels are regulated by the Care Commission with an emphasis on proper care for the individuals - while in this case the priority is property regulation. Doesn't seem right to me.

No comments: