Tuesday 27 February 2007

Snakes, New Year and George x 2

No new baby yet though the phone rang early this morning and hope rose fast, to be dashed as quickly. Business call...no use!

Spent Saturday afternoon celebrating the Chinese New Year with Jane Cheng, Consul for Taipei. This is the year of the pig. Born in 1953 I am apparently a snake which in Chinese culture means a small dragon. Snake or dragon, neither conjure a positive image though this is a lucky year for the snake. We shall see. A healthy grandchild will be good enough luck.
Jane's party was interesting: a pink, whisky based punch which I avoided. I do not like pink whisky - only gin will do but it was also early afternoon and the car was parked on a meter. Only a fool drinks and drives. Then a suckling pig, roasted and toasted by the company then carved for our delectation. It brought to mind the only other occasion I have tasted suckling pig - in Rome for a rugby international and invited as guest of Ciao Italia to a Roman feast. Half way through the third course I discovered the meal would extend to 17, the thirteenth of which was the piece de resistance...the triumphal entrance of the porcetta. It was a challenge...
At the end of Jane's event, guests were proffered a red envelope with a golden pig on its front. I didn't open it until back home and was delighted to discover it contained a £1 note. I will keep this for luck and as a memento.

Today was the WEL Board meeting which was interesting with many positives to look forward to. It seems to be coming together but I have learned that development is a fickle business and what seems secure today can evaporate by tomorrow. The staff wanted to hear how we propose to replace Stephen - they are a good bunch, intelligent and good at their job. Hopefully their understandable concerns are reassured. We make an announcement tomorrow.

And also, the two most unusual requests in a long time and both arrive on the same day. A local community councillor who is a member of the swan protection society asks for my help to save the swans at Inverleith Pond. George is an interesting chap with many interests. He is an asset to the community council and I admire his diligence. He told me today his mother is a spiritualist which adds to my interest. I like him. The second request is to help my uncle who wants to advance his obsession with sailing galleons: I have agreed to help advance his campaign for a replica Great Michael to be constructed as a major tourist attraction in Leith. George's vision is to have the Great Michael, built in 1507 and launched in 1511 from Newhaven opened in 2011 - as a 500 years anniversary celebration. My uncle (he will forgive me for this) is an eccentric but his idea is sound. Interesting both men should be called George...

No comments: