Saturday 27 October 2007

Limits

Well that was a week that passed in a blur...so much going on it's difficult to know where to start but equally no idea how much, if any, was to good effect. Take a look at Thursday's Council meeting for example...nearly nine hours long and in the end only two decisions of any real importance...the trams and Portobello High School...but boy, collectively 58 politicans can really chunter on...

it's also pretty obvious the whole pendulum has swung away from local government to Holyrood and it's clash with Westminster. How much worse will it be when we no longer set our own tax? We'll be ciphers of another tier with no independent action. Funny how centuries of democratic representation can be swept away and nobody even seems to notice.

The most interesting stuff of the last few days has been the revelation that alcohol recommendations on safe drinking (14 and 21 units) have no scientific background. Somebody lied to us...for years...and nobody seems very bothered about that either! An immense relief for me...I don't know anybody (who drinks, that is) who ever stuck to those guidelines. As I get older I drink less and less (I can't sleep if I have more than 2) but the thought of somebody imposing a limit has never been attractive...for me, as true in all aspects of life as it is for alcohol. This week Mike and I decided (after a very heavy dinner party last Saturday) we weren't going to drink at all for 7 days. Alas, we lasted only till Thursday.

No comments: