Tuesday 17 April 2007

Community, canvassing and the future

Tonight I attended the monthly meeting of the Community Council. It had all the ingredients of borderline hilarity I have come to expect. The chairperson calls women members 'darling' and thinks this passes as witticism; the planning officer who is obssessed with detail spends too long confusing other members with only half understood observations on planning applications. The committee members quickly become bored and restive and begin murmured conversations around the table. Yet they are a committed bunch and are trying hard. Much of tonight's conversation centred on the no.32 bus - unless they learn to compromise I fear this will be a lost cause. I am not confident that the two men leading this particular campaign have sufficient flexibility for the task.
I met Stephen Izatt today for lunch to say farewell. It was a pleasant occasion and he is plainly relishing his new challenge. He has encouraged Mike and I to visit Jersey. It is a part of the world I have never travelled to and with its proximity to France could be a pleasant starting point for a holiday. Apparently there are direct flights from Edinburgh so there is no bar except time to making this happen.
Tomorrow I go canvassing with Malcolm. I am looking forward to it. Unusually, I enjoy it. Many of my colleagues tell me they hate it and I wonder what kind of person who hates talking to the public goes into public life. Most people, even if they are unsupportive, are responsive and enjoy a chat. It is always useful to learn what others are thinking. I am extremely superstitious and never anticipate victory at elections. I always clear my office of its bits and pieces in case I am defeated. This year is no different and tomorrow I go to collect books and other memorabilia of the last four years. This is always a sad moment. If I do not succeed on 3 May there will undoubtedly be disappointment but also the opportunity for reflection of 21 years I have thoroughly enjoyed. Of course, if I win I just have to cart all the stuff back and the opportunity to enjoy my enormous good fortune. Serving the public - especially your own community - is an enormous privilege.

No comments: