Friday 20 April 2007

Food, drink and trying to be merry

It has been a difficult day.

A funeral this morning which I found upsetting; then the final police board meeting with an end of term levity that was silly; followed by a meeting about the swans at Inverleith Park, two hours of heavy duty correspondence, then a party thrown by Labour Group staff to say goodbye to their 'cooncillors' and finally the Oyster Club.

My spirits never recovered from the morning and the day has been more duty than pleasure which is a pity. The staff put in a tremendous effort: red & silver balloons, red streamers, plenty food and drink and twinking lights and entertainment but my mood could not be lifted. I left to join fellow members of the Oyster Club: the membership reads like a who's who of the great and good of Edinburgh and indeed Scotland. Normally I enjoy the occasion. This evening, as is the norm, there was an informative speech from a specially invited guest (tonight, David Strang new Chief Constable of L&B) but I felt flat and dull. David spoke of his previous experience which is varied: Princess Diana's funeral, Edinburgh's Millennium Street Party;CHOGM - he looks too young to have held such responsibility. I really know I'm getting old when even the Chief Constable looks young!

Good conversation with John Mclennan, Fred Goodwin, Gilleasbuig MacMillan and many more but I am glad to be home. It is time to re-charge my batteries. I intend to do nothing this weekend.

No comments: