Monday 16 April 2007

It's all Greek to me

Yesterday was a first. I went to Hampden and Hibs were playing. Dragged along by my family in return for the picnic I prepared I was then forced to endure the unendurable. Hibs were awful: Dunfermline were awful and the fans were exactly the same as those from the west of the city - colour blind and just a bit one-sided in their account of what was going on the pitch. It made me smile. Thankfully, neither husband, son, brother in law or grandaughter are prepared to make the journey a second time. They will settle for Tuesday evening in front of Setanta. Thank the Lord. I am spared and can go leafletting with a light heart.

The campaign rolls on - smoothly...the money is beginning to come in to pay for it and the leaflets, posters and flyers are all now at the printers. I was canvassed tonight - for myself - which was a surreal experience...

My grandaughter who is 13 stayed with us over the weekend. She is a young woman completely obsessed with her image (and the Hibs). With her, it is the real thing. Skin, hair, make-up are scrutinised on an almost minute by minute basis but beneath all that precocity is the funny, endearing wee girl I have loved since she was born. This weekend I was 'conned' into buying her a bikini for the holiday we are to take 'en famille' later in May in the south of Spain. In return she has promised to deliver some leaflets. This is the currency of elections.

On Saturday we went to see 'The Curse of the Golden Flower' - visually it was simply stunning and the storyline could have been lifted from a Greek Tragedy: incest, oedipal relations, treachery and slaughter - if there was a modern Chinese metaphor I expect it was to decry the old, pre-revolutionary way but I am insufficently knowledgeable about Chinese literature and culture to really comment. I would be interested, though, to learn more about its cultural message.

No comments: