Tuesday 25 September 2007

Sooks!

Friends drew my attention to the Evening News online comments yesterday in response to the Waterfront article. In particular to a 'conversation' about the two 'Sooks' websites. I try never to read them and never to respond since defending yourself against a lie is futile and you only end up validating their right to tell the lie in the first place.

Several online readers asked why, if they are lies, does the victim not retaliate with legal action. Believe me, even though I knew I probably wouldn't succeed, I have tried...not on my own behalf (sticks and stones etc etc and in public life you have to be prepared to take it) but on behalf of my many friends, some family members (one attack on my disabled, widowed mother was particularly despicable) and on the many organisations I work with who have found themselves dragged into a morass of crap simply because of their association with me. However, the authors know the difficulty of successful prosecution and abuse the legislative weakness.

I heard recently that one MSP was considering proposing legislation for more effective remedy...it can't come soon enough, I say!

No comments: