Saturday 22 March 2008

Easter Weekend

Easter Weekend and Mike and I have some holidays.

We intend to do a few odd jobs round the house involving a paintbrush and suchlike. In particular, the conservatory is needing a little attention - it is probably my favourite room in the house: big, full of light and because it is north facing with underfloor heating, never gets too hot or too cold. It doubles as our diningroom as well as a lovely area to enjoy summer evenings when the temperature has dropped outside. Freshening it up is no chore.

We are to receive a visit from the Harrison grandchildren today. Tomorrow they are going on an Easter Egg hunt. When I was a kid the only Easter eggs were hard boiled and hand painted which we rolled down Starbank Park. My own children rolled their shiny foil wrapped chocolate eggs down the same slope.

Life has gone full circle though. My daughter and her husband don't allow much chocolate so they have decorated their hard boiled eggs ahead of tomorrow's visit to Starbank... what is different, though, is that my childhood experience of Easter was closely tied to Christianity. Sunday School meant we all knew the rolling of the egg was a symbolic re-enaction of the stone being rolled aside at the tomb provided by Joseph of Arimathea.

Somehow I just know I'll get a blank look from any of the grandchildren if I mention this. It's not just chocolate no longer on the menu...

No comments: