Tuesday 8 May 2007

Dancing, working and signing on

The twists and turns of political machinations are fascinating: it is a bit like dancing a quadrille - advance, retreat, pause, turn, look to the left and to the right - no-one very sure of the rules but each determined to be at the dance. I am enjoying the process but uncertain of the outcome. With utmost certainty I know (given the final seats' tally) a Liberal led administration supported by Labour is the best conclusion for the city in terms of stability and experience...the question is, do they know it? We will wait and see. Personally I feel under no pressure - it is a good place to be. I understand Stevie's negotiations are being poxed by the puppet masters at Holyrood. Indeed a paradox. He loses his independence by joining the independents...it makes me laugh. Stevie would never be controlled as a member of the Labour Group and now it seems he is merely a McCaskill poodle.

PEP was hectic this morning. I try to start at 7.30 in order to put in as full a shift as possible each day. Otherwise, the hours eat into my holidays and like most busy people I value holidays. I have spent the morning catching up with last week's work but the phones never stopped and the many service users visiting the office (perhaps as many 30 today) all wanted a slice of time to congratulate me and to discuss the election outcome. If nothing else the result has got people talking about politics again. I confess, I didn't get much done.

I spoke to Billy F tonight. He is suffering and I feel for him. He told me he goes to sign on tomorrow, the first time in decades...I do not envy him. Like him, my pride would revolt at the idea. As usual though, he covers his uncertainty with bravado - 'I'll just be like a thousand other Pilton punters,' he jokes. There is courage there.

No comments: