Sunday 6 May 2007

Looking forward and back to earth

The Labour group met yesterday to re-appoint Ewan as leader and all the other office bearers as the negotiating team. There are several formulations that would keep Labour out of power altogether: I imagine that would be tempting to the other parties: all, though, rely on a 3 way coalition - much harder to manage, much less certain to deliver stability and progress for the city and all involving large numbers of untried politicans. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

The Labour group seemed in good heart - perhaps a combination of relief that 15 survived given the electoral mauling Labour took across Scotland and anticipation at what lies ahead. For myself, I am pleased to be a part of it all. Politics is a virus and once infected it is hard to recover.

I have been studying the results across the city: it is clear the 'alphabet factor' has had a real impact. In truth, it seems I am the only candidate whose name fell below a party running mate (in any of the contests where a party fielded two candidates) to come out on top. I have bucked a universal trend...and I am relieved.

Eric and I met up briefly with Tom P yesterday. He is putting on a brave face but he is hurting. He's off to Florida to nurse his wounds. I am sure, on his return, he will be full of it - dreaming up new schemes, planning the next campaign. Tom won't stay down for long but he tells me there will be no more political ambition.

Now, I have to attend to all the thank you letters and all the post election paraphernalia - necessary and proper. I must find time to clean my house too. It is a tip.

No comments: