Tuesday 14 August 2007

Mair airts & pairts

Last night's meeting with the North Edinburgh Arts Board was interesting: forecast of a substantial deficit if spending goes ahead as planned, advice that the Autumn programme has been shelved : the Board is taking their fiduciary duties seriously. I do not want the theatre to close - not even for a short time - re-building an audience in those circumstances is a doomed exercise. I believe they must produce a rescue plan which aims to close the funding gap through a combination of public funds, private fundraising and trimming the budget. This is an important facility in the area and says much about its aspirations - everybody has a part to play in rescuing it.

In 2008 it will be 50 years since Yehudi Menuhin specifically requested to play in North Edinburgh as part of the official Festival. He filled the Embassy Cinema and the event was a tremendous success. I have asked the Evening News for its help in trying to promote the idea of a special event in North Edinburgh in 2008 - we're gonna need the Arts centre for that!

And finally: I saw it last night and knew instantly I must have. My object of desire ...a black, gleaming panther of a car... Chrysler Crossfire - my name is on it...no man or woman has ever made my heart beat thus!!

No comments: