Friday 24 August 2007

Political instinct and talking to people

Lots of email correspondence from parents and constituents worried about the consequences of the school closure programme. I hope they're not writing to Marilyne and expecting a quick response either. Today, several conversations with people who have written to the chair of Children & Families some weeks ago reveal they haven't yet received anything other than a holding response. Now I now she's been busy trying (unintentionally I'm sure) to bring all hell down on her head but she has a whole swathe of staff who can answer her letters for her...she only has to read and sign them. I suppose once you get in the habit of not wanting to hear opposing voices it becomes infectious.

I was interested yesterday to hear how often the Administration referred to the fact that the hit list was drawn up by experienced officers - now, I've no doubt the new head of children & families is experienced but she doesn't know Edinburgh...she's only been here a couple of minutes! Marilyne is meant to provide the political instinct and acuity: not much sign of that, I'm afraid. But you can't fault her for courage, though.

No comments: