Sunday 23 December 2007

Christmas is almost here and I am very lucky

Christmas is in sight now...I know this since I have been forced into all the jobs like window cleaning, shifting furniture to dust behind it etc which a strict Presbyterian working class upbringing (polish your shoes every day, always match underwear in case you get knocked down etc.) forces on you - if I had a coal fire it would be a case of sweeping the lum...fortunately mine's is a gas flame affair.

Christmas Day promises to be quiet - only 4 for dinner.

Boxing Day is another matter altogether. We have 70 people plus 4 dogs coming to party. The annual Maginnis/Scammell family bash involves many brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and various other branches...the youngest is 18 months, the eldest 80 years. Last year the centrepiece was a huge family competition based on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. This year, the many musicans are bringing their preferred instrument and we will be entertained by an impromptu jam session...it will be noisy and chaotic but, I am sure, fun. My son, who has perfect pitch, has promised to bring along his drum kit too...I am trying to persuade him otherwise.

Monday will be spent cooking Wednesday's feast - as you can deduce, I wonder why I am wasting my time doing all the cleaning - the house will be a shambles again by Thursday!

Today I am working at PEP - we have many vulnerable service users who will be alone over Christmas and we have decided on part time opening over the holidays with a much abbreviated staffing level. We expect about 7 people in, though there may be more. It is a sobering thought ...being on your own at Christmas, because you have nobody.

I am very lucky.

No comments: