Friday 28 December 2007

Exremism triumphs

I am shocked at the murder of Benazir Bhutto. We are the same age and I have followed her career closely. To me, she represented the triumph of moderation over extremism.
In contrast, yesterday's foul crime represents a triumph of extremism.

Life has dealt her the same hand as so many of her dynastic family. I suppose our only modern western parallel is the Kennedy family and just as the authorities were helpless to prevent those assassinations, so the Pakistani authorities were helpless in the face of the unknown fanatic.

I fear the US and the West has no other option but to trade with President Musharraf now - there are no democratic credentials in his weaponry but it will be a case of the 'devil you know'. The situation is grave for the world. Wringing hands in grief and worry seems appropriate.

No comments: