Wednesday 11 June 2008

A lucky woman

It's one of those weeks where feet don't touch ground: many, many constituency demands in the last few days, all requiring attention and as ever, PEP is extremely demanding.

Pleased to say Gillian Tee has responded quickly to my request for a meeting about Granton PS. Six parents wish to attend so my wee office will be crammed on Friday. I will report on any progress...or not, as the case may be.

A disturbing wee complaint today from a disabled constituent who requires a walking frame for independence. His frame got stuck in a hole in the pavement meaning he fell into a single lane of traffic - fortunately, he wasn't seriously hurt but the ramifications could have been much worse. I have drawn the case to the attention of the relevant officers.

Last night, I attended the Board of Granton Youth Centre which was interesting. Many moons ago I was instrumental in securing the funding to establish the Centre. After a rocky start it now has a really effective manager and is going places. What was really impressive was a report from one of the Centre's young volunteers (he tells me he will be 18 later this month - oh man...that made me feel old...) who has trained as a peer educator...he is a really good role model and that's what young people need.

Today, a very enjoyable session with Helen May who organises Common Purpose. I think she is a star. Extremely intelligent, inquisitive, empathetic...anyhow she has invited me to be a contributor as one of a range of leaders to the next generation of leaders to discuss 'Leading beyond authority'. It will be interesting too...

As I write this, I reflect on what a lucky woman I am...at least life is seldom boring!

No comments: