Monday 2 July 2007

Floods, War and Royal Garden Parties

I bet Gordon Brown is wondering if someone up there has it in for him: four days in - floods and war...he only needs pestilence and famine to complete the hand!

Had a good weekend despite the weather. Babysitting in Musselburgh on Friday - Ann's three are all very young and are great fun. Took them out for a walk (in between showers) to Luca's. The ice creams were so big the kids couldn't finish them, then home for bath and bed. It was a gentle, slow- paced evening and I enjoyed it. Wee Hollie is a sweetheart: she has captured my heart - big debate about nappy pants -'No granny. Mummy says I don't need them anymore.' 'Are you sure?'
Big solemn green eyes, 'Yes granny.'
I didn't argue the point. Soaking wet bed later. Two years old and she has me round her finger.

Then on Saturday Mike and I went shopping for rugs and curtains - we went to a wee shop in Haddington (Norman Craig) for the curtain fabric . They measure the windows and make the drapes up for a fraction of the price at John Lewis. That's our next DIY challenge: redecorating the main room. Oh joy...big argument in B&Q at the Dulux paint machine: he fancies lime zest, I want celtic forest. In the end we agree to disagree and leave without anything. How we're going to ever get the room done is anybody's guess. It'll be a stand-off till the rug arrives (in September - amazing thing this rug: ordered in Leith, woven in China, shipped to USA to be made to bespoke requirements, then back to Leith to finally be laid on a floor in Granton: think of the carbon footprint involved in that - Andrew Burns will have a lot of cycling & Mike Maginnis a helluva lot of recycling to offset that... I almost feel guilty) when we will be forced to make a decision and get on with painting the walls...in a rush, as we do most things...then we'll nark and moan and be sorry we ever started the damned thing in the first place. I can see it all unfolding before me. But it is 10 years since this room was touched and it can't be left for much longer.

Wednesday is the Garden Party - 4th July: American Independence Day; my parents' wedding anniversary - if my dad still lived it would be their 54th - he died on my 50th birthday and I miss him still. My mother misses him much more. I am going to the Party though the forecast is poor. Nothing different there, though. Every Royal Garden Party I've ever attended it has chucked at some point in the afternoon.

No comments: