Wednesday 11 July 2007

liars and honest men

Recently I was asked to intervene in an interesting anti social neighbour case - a group of neighbours approached me claiming their neighbour has been intimidating them persistently for several years (including a couple of physical assaults) and they are at the end of their tether. I ask them, why have you waited so long to seek my help. Shattering reply...'She said you were related to her and you wouldn't help...' I shake my head. None of it true. Not that I'm related to her or that, even if I were, I wouldn't have helped. Long overdue, the case is now progressing but I am left wondering how many other liars have used that excuse to get away with bad behaviour.

Several meetings this week - all related to local issues: property ownership, regeneration, transport - and then last night the West Pilton Community Council AGM and a vote for chairperson and vice chairperson. The status quo prevailed, though for the vice chair it was a tight run thing. The chair gave a full report and it is clear this community council has done good work responding to local concerns. He has led them well with impartiality and it is right that he was re-elected. People are funny - an honest broker chair is worth his weight in gold but as with all organisations, internal politics can be fierce. These nuances are thankfully lost on the outside world.

No comments: