Sunday 22 July 2007

Pauline

I read the Scotsman magazine article on Lennonxlove with interest yesterday. I didn't know they had a bed formerly owned by Pauline Borghese, Napolean's sister.
She interests me: several years ago my husband gave me a white alabaster replica of a woman reclining semi - naked on a couch. She is holding an apple in her left hand and the expression on her face is one of pure 'cat that got the cream.' He didn't know anything about who she was and neither did I but I really loved that woman. It was like she had some great big secret and she wasn't going to share it. Much later, I was invited to a charity 'do' for Marie Curie Cancer Care. The reception, hosted by the British Ambassador to Paris was held in the Embassy. In the reception area was a life sized version of my lady and was told she was Pauline Borghese. The Embassy was originally her Parisian home but when Wellington defeated her brother she was forced to hand it over as part of the war reparation (she also apparently had a major affair with Wellington but that's another story).
When I got home I researched the internet for details of Napolean's sister and discovered the original statue had been carved in marble by Canova and at the time had caused a minor scandal - a famous society lady modelling naked. Her mother scolded her and she allegedly brushed it off with, 'Mama, I was covered by a scarf but the window was open and the wind blew and puff, it blew away.' The statue is named 'Amor Victrix'. Love Conquers All - I like her style.
The Canova original is in the Borghese Palace in Rome which, as a private and grand home, is closed to the public. I have stood at its gates and peered in [who says a cat can't look at a queen?] and wondered at what other fabulous treasures lie within.
The final part of my string of Pauline coincidences lies in another trip to Rome when I was hunting through an antique shop next to Piazza Navona. There in the back shop was a two thirds size marble copy of Pauline.
'How much,' I ask more in hope than expectation.
'39,000 euros,' says the vendor. 'You like her? You know who she is?'
I nod, trying to do the sterling conversion in my head and launch into a long conversation - I can tell he is impressed that I know something about her. He knows a lot more though. In the end he says, 'I can do a price.' I smile - it's the equivalent of a large bank loan which I would go for but there's no chance Mike would agree. 'Sorry,' I say. 'It's too much.' He gives me his card in case I should change my mind. I have it yet...in the meantime I enjoy my table sized replica and I know why she is smiling!

No comments: