Friday 13 July 2007

Security & safety

A couple of constituents advised me at the beginning of the week there were security problems at the Pennywell demolition site: they claimed kids were climbing to the top flats of the semi-demolished buildings and throwing stones at passing traffic: I went to take a look for myself and was shocked to see that at the corners of the site the demolition team had erected a barricade that would have graced the stage of Les Miserables - using rubble from the site. No way was it secure.
I passed this on to the local housing office and I have to say they have reacted with amazing speed.
Yesterday I received fulsome assurances that they had met with the contractors and the following responses are now in hand:

  • increased night time security
  • the local community policing team to be more closely involved
  • the wholly inadequate perimeter fencing to be secured and repaired
  • unsafe buildings which are as yet only partially demolished to be made either secure or pulled down
  • the entrance to the still live electricity sub station to be blocked off
  • signage put up warning of the live electricity dangers

Now, I know nobody in their right mind plays on to a demolition site - but equally nobody in their right mind believes that kids won't go there for the adventure and risk if nothing else. I will be monitoring this situation closely: a serious or fatal injury would be too high a price to pay for slack security.

1 comment:

Korstiaan Allan said...

Yet ANOTHER result for a Labour councillor . . . Am I right in assuming that councillors Jackson, Morris & Cardowni weren't approached about this issue? Is the demolition-site in question YOUR part of Forth Ward only?
Anyway, keep on blogging!