Friday 25 January 2008

Burns Day

A really different 'Burns Supper' tonight - east meets west - at the Taiwanese Consulate - Jane Cheng recites in Mandarin 'To a Mouse' and is matched by Prof Purdie's rendition in Scots - brilliant! I will never forget it. Indeed, I have asked Jane for a copy of the Mandarin original which I will frame and hang on my wall so when people ask, 'What's that?' I will always be reminded of tonight.

Also, a conversation with Elizabeth Blackadder who has finished Eric (Milligan's) official L.P. portrait which is due for unveiling soon. I am looking forward to seeing it.

And tonight is my daughter's 5th wedding anniversary and the day my brother is told he has been made redundant. A mixed sort of day, really...

2 comments:

Brain for Idiot for Sale Apply Ewan Aitken said...

how much does this portrait thing cost. who picks up the tab. can they be bought in bulk...

we need to know.

Elizabeth Maginnis said...

You probably already know every LP gets a portrait or a window or whatever they choose to mark their leadership of the city. Eric actually did 2 stints - the only person in modern city history - but he only gets 1 tribute - value for money I'd day!