Monday 28 January 2008

Gaelic to rhyme with phallic

Been a quiet weekend, mostly looking after granddaughter Number 1. Still nursing various infections and feeling none too good.

Very quiet surgery tonight - but loads of email messages to respond to. There is definitely a change in the way people contact their councillor these days: a lot more people use electronic communication. It's interesting that Royston/Wardieburn, the location of my surgery for the last umpteen canteen years, is still much busier so maybe it's more that folk in Granton know me better.

Scotland to get its first Gaelic TV station... complete waste of time and money for me anyway - all I know is it's Gaelic to rhyme with phallic as I was once memorably told - but I understand the argument that if Scotland doesn't work to preserve the language then nobody will. Sometimes you just have to look beyond what you think ...still a load of cods for me, though!

2 comments:

Sam said...

if its a main stain like bbc gaelic and its broadcast as one of the main stations it will be a waste of money becasue hardly anyone in central scotland knows gaelic. if its just some cable channel then it will join countless other foreign channels on the tv already, that i will never watch but im sure some gaelic speakers will enjoy.

also, i think that its possible that the reason more people come and meet you in wardieburn (comparitively speaking) than email you is becasue there are less people who have internet access at home.

i stumbled across your blog the other day by the way, i enjoy reading it!

Elizabeth Maginnis said...

Sam, thanks - I shared your comment with my husband - he said, 'stumbled across you, eh? I know the feeling' which I think relates to the fact we are often strangers passing in the night!
Think you're right about the lack of access to email in Wardieburn, by the way.