Wednesday 9 January 2008

Quality will out

Whoopee - the polls got it wrong. Hilary won through and Obama will be scratching his head this morning wondering where it went wrong. For me, the critical turning point was when Clinton showed her vulnerability but still kept it under control. Women (me, for example) responded positively and it was their vote that did it for her. And anyway, quality will out!

Still off work, I am watching Prime Minister's Questions where Gordon Brown has just swatted David Cameron aside like a pesky wee fly. Again, quality will out.

Tomorrow there will be a statement about nuclear power - let me say at the outset I support (with all the caveats of secure disposal, security risks etc) the decision to go ahead with a new generation of nuclear stations - of course, there must also be maximum concentration on alternative energy sources- we need the mix but we have no choice to reduce dependency on carbon based fuels since they are running out and are, at the same time, crucifying our planet. I see no feasible option.

I readily confess I am no expert and my view will most probably be in a minority but, as usual, nobody could ever accuse me of courting popularity...it will be a major bone of contention between Westminster and Holyrood...and I doubt much sense will be heard over the cacophony about to ensue...

No comments: