Friday 4 January 2008

Caucuses

The Iowa Caucus has delivered its surprise result. I am truly amazed that Hilary Clinton came third. She is an amazing, super smart woman and should become the first female president of the USA. I can only assume her age, her husband's reputation and the natural conservatism of the mid-West has done for her. I imagine she and her team are analysing the results closely - but she has been wounded. Third place and her enemies will already be smelling blood.

I know little of Barack Obama but I will remedy that fast. It is hard to believe his victory was other than a shot across the bows of the establishment.

The Republican victor Mike Huckabee has no chance. He will be pushed aside in the later votes. His appeal was largely to do with his opposition to the Iraq war and to the many people of faith who like his religious views. Again, I believe a vote for him was a broadside from the ordinary voter against the Washington establishment.

My recent trip to Nevada gave me an insight into three key facts about the mid West psyche: everybody is worried about the low value of the dollar...people are working hard for less in their pocket; faith plays a huge part in the ordinary person's life - even the hairdresser spoke to me about the importance of church going for her; nobody was very sure who they wanted to see win the next presidential race but all mentioned the need for big change. Interestingly, few mentioned the Iraq war except in the most non committal way.

I go to New York later this year - it will be interesting to see what city dwellers in the east think.

No comments: