Monday 11 February 2008

BAFTA

Sat up late last night to watch the BAFTA ceremony. I love the cinema - it is one of my hobbies.

I wish I hadn't bothered. Straight away, Jonathon Ross' endless metrosexual innuendo irritated, then his fawning, ingratiating pseudo-confidential flattery...it makes me want to be sick...

I watched 'La Vie En Rose' on the way to Las Vegas - I didn't care for it much though there was undeniable talent. I watched 'Away from Her' over Christmas and loved it and I read 'Atonement' then watched the movie at OT. I hated it even though I thought the scene where Keira Knightley and James McEvoy straddle the book shelves, as if impaled on the cross, was visually stunning and extraordinarily symbolic. I hated it because the author betrayed his readers (just as his lovers were betrayed by the novel's narrator) . Novelists have to persuade the reader that the protagonists are real otherwise why would anyone ever bother reading somebody else's make believe? Instead McEwan played God and reminded us he was in control.

I haven't seen Daniel Day Lewis' latest yet but I am looking forward to the film. His is a powerful physical acting style and I have never not enjoyed his work.

So far for me, though - the film I have enjoyed most recently - simple, unpretentious, clever, subtle, brilliantly layered humour - St Trinians. Rupert Everett is the real deal metrosexual...and bloody clever and talented with it.

Jonathon Ross with his four poofs on a piano has a lot to learn.

No comments: