Wednesday 7 May 2008

composite classes

Emails are beginning to trickle in about a possible composite primary 1/2 class at Trinity PS. In general, I don't share parental worries about composite classes but I do worry about them in the first year of school. That sets the tone for a whole educational experience.

Many, many years ago, my own son - with basic reading and writing before he went to school - was in a p1/p2 composite. His was not a good experience. He struggled with the social aspect of half a class of kids who knew the routines, were confident about being away from mum, about, I suppose, not feeling equal to the older kids...his first year at primary ended up a pretty dismal experience which I would not wish on any child.

I hope there is still time for this proposal, if it is a proposal, to be reconsidered.

No comments: