Tuesday 13 May 2008

when it's really broke don't waste time trying to fix it

7.30 am start this morning and some concentrated work on a funding application I am currently putting together. There are many hoops to go through and the process certainly forces you to focus clearly on your outcomes...I know it is sad but I really enjoy writing reports, filling in applications...I like the act of thinking, analysing, reviewing, researching ...it's a good job I do, since too much of being a manager in the voluntary sector is about form filling and trying to pull money in...

This afternoon I attended the Corporate Parenting Member Officer Working Group which was interesting...it has a long way to go but I think it is an honest attempt to try to improve things for our most vulnerable children.

Apparently the number of 'looked after' children has risen in one year by over 100 to 1300+ and the number keeps going north.

So too, babies being put up for adoption have soared - 40, this year and for the first time that I can remember the numbers of looked after kids on supervision orders at home almost equals the numbers being adopted or fostered.

Throw into the equation the numbers on 'kinship orders' i.e. being looked after by friends or family plus those in residential care and there is a clear trend emerging to remove children from their families - despite the stated preference to keep them at home.
No bad thing, I say.
I think it's correct children do best in a family setting. Families take many forms but the basic construct is a caring adult able to look out for, and preferably love, the child. When the basics aren't there, there's nothing else to do but try to recreate those constructs elsewhere. When it's really broke, don't waste time trying to fix it...instead, find an alternative.
Then tonight, the West Pilton Community Council, which was fun...yes...I said FUN...people who know each other well in a good humour though lots of important issues raised: problems with private landlords, problems of parking on West Granton Road and concerns about youth provision in the area...important matters indeed.

No comments: